This article is now available in our new Knowledge Base: Installation of Zend Server 9 Fails on Windows Server 2012 R2
Zend Server 9
Windows Server 2012 R2
On Windows Server 2012 R2, the installation of Zend Server 9 fails with the following error message in zend_setup.log:
The Universal C Runtime (CRT) version, included in Windows Server 2012 R2, is outdated and causes the Zend Server 9 installation to fail. Applications built using the Windows 10 Software Development Kit (SDK) and depending on Windows 10 Universal CRT don't function properly on Windows Server 2012 R2.
To resolve the error, an update for Universal C Runtime in Windows is required: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
Apparently, this package isn't always installed during the automatic Windows Update. Therefore, in order to solve the installation issue, it needs to be installed manually, together with its prerequisites:
1. Uninstall the failed Zend Server 9 installation from Control Panel.
2. Delete the \Apache24 and \ZendServer directories from the Zend Server 9 installation folder (by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Zend).
3. Download the following updates:
- Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2919442) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42153.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42334 (it contains multiple downloads, the required ones are clearcompressionflag.exe and Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.msu).
- Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2999226) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49063.
4. Install the downloaded updates in the following order:
- KB2919355 (reboot when prompted)
5. Install Zend Server 9.